Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Lap/Baby quilts

The motivation for starting real sized quilts was my Grandmama moving out of her large, southern home.  She had this huge attic closet filled with old clothes.  My aunts were just going to donate all of them, so instead I took a bunch to repurpose into quilts for the family.  I definitely didn't take enough (there was a LOT of polyester), but I think I can get a baby quilt for each cousin's first born.

The first quilt I made was a lap quilt for my Grandmama, I finished this one in 2007.  I went very traditional (and easy!) by doing a log cabin pattern.  I actually entered this one into the state fair 2 years ago and got some great comments!



There it is! (at the fair)




This past spring/summer I made a quilt for Grandmama's first great-grandbaby.  I gave it an abstract beach theme since my family would go to the beach for two weeks each summer together. I supplemented my finite supply of Grandmama's clothes with whites.  This is the first quilt I deviated from strictly single pattern blocks.



No comments:

Post a Comment